Saturday 28 June 2008

Sears Thunderbolt

A couple of weeks ago one early Sunday morning, the little window I have on the 63rd floor began to open and close with quite a lot of force. Enough to wake this little kid up. I wandered over sleepy eyed, only for an almighty wind to burst through again, opening the window teasingly and then sucking it shut rather abruptly.

This was a proper wind as this is a tough little window.

So I shut the window and locked the catches. I then looked out across the city. On the one side the sun was just coming up over the lake, and on the other, a fierce set of storm clouds were approaching, menacing and fast.

The rain soon hit and the ferocious wind gathered pace. In fact, I began to hear some beautiful music. At first I thought some guy next door was playing his flute, trying in vain to block out the sound of the impending storm. But, it soon became apparent that the wind was making some music of its own. It sounded quite amazing. Mother nature at her eerie best.

Then, scarily, the building began to creak and shudder. Almost like a ship in the middle of a storm. Luckily, doing some calculations, I knew that this probably wasn't the first time this building had been hit by a storm, nor the Chicago wind. And, if the building did fall it wouldn't be the worst death and I wouldn't be the only one.

So, I began to relax a little, sat back and watched as the storm floated over and hit the city. The Sears Tower got a direct hit, and not just once, hence how I managed to capture the scene on a video!!

I don't think our building was hit but then you never know. I did get a small electric shock later on, but that was nothing compared to what those guys in the Sears Tower got!! Check out the video!

No comments: